[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Nathan Wayde kumyco at konnichi.com
Thu Sep 9 09:35:14 EDT 2010

On 09/09/10 14:11, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:55:35 +0300, Evangelos Foutras
> <foutrelis at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Fess<killall_humans at lavabit.com>  wrote:
>>> Page "Local mirros" was removed from wiki by this reason:
>>>
>>> -----
>>> It is generally frowned upon to create a local mirror due the bandwidth that is required.
>>> There is not a good reason to create a local mirror, since one of the alternatives below will likely meet your needs.
>>> -----
>>>
>>> I think it's very useful ability, and why this page was removed... i don't know. It's silly.
>>> If anyone else think it must be return - maybe we should do it?
>>>
>>> P.S.
>>>
>>> A lot of guys agreed with me this morning, so i think many people want this article back.
>>> --
>>
>> I agree with the reasoning, I disagree with the content removal. : D
>
> See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103987 The original
> article was just wrong and causing us problems. Feel free to add an
> improved one.

If the script was broken or it caused problems it wouldn't hurt to state
what these problems. Correct me if I'm something here but I have idea
what these problems were. If the script caused problems then what stops
someone creating their own script that works the same way?

IMHO the text posted is likely worse than what was there before since it
just makes a bunch of claims with no info.