[arch-general] Pacman's superslow

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 10:36:21 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com> wrote:
>>> I have an OpenVZ VPS running arch.
>>> For some reason pacman is superslow, and I'm not allowed to create/use
>>> loopback devices.
>>> pacman-optimize takes nearly 5 minutes per run, no matter the last run
>>> was just a minute ago.
>>
>> Unhelpful++
>>
>> * Filesystem
>> * Block device configuration
>> * Total RAM, free -m output
>> * uptime load avg numbers
>>
>> -Dan
>>

> FS: Reiserfs (/dev/simfs / 30 GB usrquota grpquota)
> 512 MB RAM, normally only 256 used.
> Load Average ~ 1-5 (Instant)

This is neither `free -m` output or `uptime` output. Buffers and cache
values are important, thus the original request. At least I don't have
time to debug issues when I don't get the *full* details I ask for.
`df -h` would be good too, but I'm not going to waste my time here
unless you offer some help and at least attempt to look into this on
your own.

With a load average between 1 and 5, I'm guessing you have several
tasks high on disk I/O. I would recommend digging into `vmstat` and
`iotop -o` output and doing debugging of your own.

-Dan