[arch-general] why is sage-mathematics so huge?

Auguste Pop auguste at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 02:17:15 EDT 2010

Hi,

I just noticed that there is a sage-mathematics package in community
repository and tried to install it and found out that the package is
really huge.

I understand that sage is always shipped in a gigantic bundle, but the
arch package is considerably larger than official packages provided
for other Linux distributions. For lzma compressed archives, they are
typically around 330MB, while the arch package is about 630MB. Why is
the package so big? I have just noticed that the arch version is
4.5.3, the version on its official site is still 4.5.2. Is this the
reason for the big package?

Thank you for your kind attention.

Yours,