[arch-general] Unable to Start PostgreSQL

Carlos Mennens carloswill at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 13:00:09 EDT 2010

When I installed the latest version of PostgreSQL today, I attempted
to start the daemon so I could login and start creating databases but
received the following error:

[root at buster ~]# /etc/rc.d/postgresql start
:: Starting PostgreSQL
                      [BUSY] su: warning: cannot change directory to
/var/lib/postgres: Permission denied
could not change directory to "/root"
pg_ctl: could not open PID file
"/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid": Permission denied

                      [FAIL]

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? This is a brand new server and
fresh install of both Arch & PostgreSQL.