[arch-general] Gvim is a blank, empty, grey window

Simon Woolf simon.woolf at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 11:14:26 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Subject line says it all, really -- installed gvim, and on opening it, I get a
blank, empty, grey window: http://i.imgur.com/DUUIO.png .

That's if opening it normally; opened from a terminal, it prints:

(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache
"/var/tmp/kdecache-simon/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Attached to cache,
determining if it must be initialized
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Cache fully initialized --
attached to memory mapping
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: 4636672 bytes available
out of 10485760

...And then nothing -- not even a grey window.

Reinstalling gvim & vim-runtime has no effect.  I would try aur/vim-gtk
instead of extra/gvim, but it seems to be unbuildable -- one of the sources
gives a 404.  If relevant, Arch is up to date, and is broadly KDE4.5 (with
compiz and bmpanel2 used in place of kwin and plasma).

Since I haven't heard anyone else have this problem with gvim, I assume it's
just me.  Anyone had anything liike this before?  Any ideas?

Thanks to all in advance.

Simon Woolf