[arch-general] Spell Checking in Emacs

Steve Holmes steve.holmes88 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 08:39:49 EDT 2010

I have emacs 23.2 running in a normal text console and am trying to
spell check using the ispell.el facility in the emacs lisp libraries.
I also installed aspell and espell-en packages to resolve the binary
program to be used by the emacs ispell function.

When I do any of the emacs commands like ispell-buffer or
ispell-region and the like, I keep getting a message in the prompt
line of emacs saying
"Text is read-only"
The buffer where I am testing this is most definitely not a read-only
buffer.  I tested aspell out in a normal terminal on a test text file
and that seemed to work OK.  Do I have to do anything else to get this
working right?  I did not set up any config files for aspell; I'm not
sure if I have to or not.

Can anyone help me out?