[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Nathan Wayde disposaboy at konnichi.com
Wed Sep 15 01:51:31 EDT 2010

On 15/09/10 01:13, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Nathan Wayde<disposaboy at konnichi.com>  wrote:
>> here's what I'd(and I imagine most others who know about sharing the cache)
>> use a local mirror for:
>>
>> to be able to sync all other systems from it. plain and simple. if my
>> systems don't have internet connection or something like that then i simply
>> get the packages from the master,
>> cache sharing doesn't and cannot solve that problem at all, that's a fact.
>
> shared cache won't solve that sure... but there are better solutions:
>
> ) if you can get it from master, then it sounds like you have a LAN
> connection; tunnel a connection thru master...
> ) if you have a LAN, what can't some machines have access anyway?
> ) if you don't have a LAN, you are manually moving packages?  you
> could do that without a local mirror
> ) if you have a LAN, but _cannot_ allow some access to the net, then
> use a different method like a caching proxy
>
> local mirror = quick/easy crutch to avoid better utilization of
> local/peer resources
>
> i use a homebrew proxy/cache solution for my home, works fine.  one
> machine pretends to be a repo, others look to it for packages... easy.
>   i'm not using this exact version now, but i implemented this (rather
> crappily) while first learning python:
>
> "pacproxy (or something that vaguely resembles an apt-proxy clone)"

from the sounds of it all those solutions require an internet
connection. my use-case is about installing on-demand what i want
without an internet connection - the same reason i never clear my cache
when i uninstall stuff. If i'm on the train and working on a
presentation or something and i need to make some graphic i need to know
that i will have the apps i need. this has saved me before where apps i
had were inadequate for something that popped up while i had no internet
connection. the fact that i synced everything to my desktop then copied
it onto my laptop meant that i wasn't syncing the mirror twice.

>> now to the bandwidth issue. it's obviously bogus, because:
>>
>> 1) they assume everyone/(lots of people) is going to create a local mirror.
>> 2) they assume that they're all going to sync from the same server.
>> 3) they assume this extra bandwidth waste actually causes a problem for all
>> the mirrors - i.e that there's only 1 mirror.
>>
>> now, if my assumptions are wrong thus leading to false conclusions then
>> please correct me, but so far all I've heard is whining about local mirror
>> causing problems for the mirrors but nothing about what these problems
>> actually are, in the meantime the original wiki was deemed bad with not much
>> of a valid reason and nothing being done to further educate us the users.
>
> i don't think it's even about whether or not it _is_ causing a
> problem, and more a preemptive move to discourage naive
> implementations.  sure, if you have a heterogeneous environment of 200
> machines, then a local mirror probably isn't too bad an idea... but it
> still isn't needed, as faster/better/cheaper methods are available.
>
> in my opinion, if you're not publicly seeding your mirror, then you
> don't need it; else you probably only want it due to an extreme case
> of laziness.  sure maybe mirror XYZ can handle constant sync's from
> everyone looking at it... but really, do them a favor, and don't; it
> might piss them off :-).

you do realize the average daily sync in repo is only a few hundred megs
right? and that's mainly because of the large packages which come in
occasionally like kde gnome, OOo, eclipse, etc.

and i don't see how removing the wiki solves anything, it rather makes
it worse IMHO. it was simply removed with a vague message pointing to a
wiki that doesn't do much better. iirc there was supposedly a warning at
the top of the original wiki and no-one ever read it. this sounds to me
like someone fancies them-self a mind-reader or something. on a more
serious note, let's be honest and say that putting a warning at the top
of a page with several subsections that warns mostly about something
further down the page is just idiotic.

>> You can probably tell that I'm annoyed by this and the simple fact is that
>> ARM sync script was based off the script on that wiki, it's not the same as
>> I changed a lot of options to cater to my own needs but as have been said
>> the script was bad, no-one is telling us what was bad about it and these
>> alternative methods are wholly inadequate at best.
>
> yeah i don't really know the politics here, or have even seen the
> script.  in my own experience back in the day syncing ubuntu repos
> (for easy install at remote locations from large USB key when client
> requirements are unknown)... you likely flat out don't need it, and
> there are _very_ few legitimate use cases for it (the parenthesized
> use case above is about the best one i know).
>
> all i'm suggesting is that just because you can and it's easy doesn't
> mean you should.  but hey, i don't run a mirror, and extreme leeching
> won't affect me, so ultimately i could care less; if i did though, i
> would monitor for this kind of crap... i mean, doesn't the official
> arch mirror impose similar restrictions?  just do you part to not be
> excessive.
>
> does one check out the entire library on the possibility of reading 10 books?
>
> C Anthony

well the ARM is like an archive it's not really a public mirror like the
rest, it's a last resort kinda thing. the idea is that is wants to cache
every package (or as much as possible) that hits the repos, if my script
is gonna cause a problem then I'd very much like to know about it but
alas no-one seems to know what these problems are.