[arch-general] Update: [semi-solved] community/e-svn 51937-1 BROKEN? themes fail screen resolution fail etc...

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Sep 16 01:21:11 EDT 2010

Well I found out that e17 is responding to an xrandr command in the
~/.xinitrc upon startx... So I don't need to use e17's native screen
resolution utility... Thus I can get my 1024x768 screen resolution in an
automatic fashion that still lets me log out cleanly...

I also installed those AUR e17-themes and "SOME" of them worked. (more or
less) Though with most of them, Once I apply them, I can no longer
initialize the theme switching tool without a crash. But fortunately I had
the forethought to backup the "bad" ~/.e directory which did at least let me
make some changes, including using the theme switcher... mc made it easy to
copy it back in between e17 test runs. And I found a few themes that do
make it easy to see which button has the keyboards focus. Kind of like
blingbling does only without having to squint to spot the outline.

Two of the best at that are dali41b and japan2007, The latter being more
aesthetically pleasing, and I think slightly more stable at letting me make
more changes without crashing. But it's clock gadget is not for me. And
while it's shape is a little twisted, I CAN read the formers clock.

I find that I can add gadgets to the shelf, But if I try to add one to the
desktop it crashes. (Fortunately the ones I care about are already there)

So while it still isn't quite right, and I still can't use my preferred
themes, at least two of the AUR themes are acceptable. And the xrandr
workaround works well enough so that I'll manage until the next upgrade
anyway...

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions