[arch-general] There's no need for acpid

Lukas Grässlin lukasgraesslin at gmx.de
Thu Sep 16 05:15:26 EDT 2010

Hi there,

I discussed with someone else in an IRC channel that actually I have to
use acpid for laptop-mode-tools if I want to have settings changed when
I plug in AC.

Well, actually there is no need of acpid for this. A simply shell script
can do the same:

#!/bin/bash

while read event; do
	case "$event" in
		ac_adapter*)
			/usr/sbin/laptop_mode auto > /dev/null 2>&1
		;;
	esac
done < /proc/acpi/event

So I put this script unter /usr/sbin (or something else, whatever) and
start it in laptop-mode-tools initscript. Works perfectly and so I don't
need acpid just for this little thing.

Anyway isn't acpid a bit much for such simple things? I thought maybe
somene else could find this useful, so I post this to you ;)

Regards,
	Lukas

--
Lukas Grässlin

Collax GmbH . Basler Str. 115a . 79115 Freiburg . Germany

p: +49 (0) 89-990 157-23

Collax - Flexible IT.

Geschäftsführer: Bernd Bönte, Boris Nalbach
Amtsgericht München, HRB 173695
USt-ID: DE270819312