[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Nathan Wayde disposaboy at konnichi.com
Thu Sep 16 14:59:37 EDT 2010

On 16/09/10 19:39, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
[..]
> Ok a few things here....
>
> 1. There are a *few* instances where having a local mirror is warranted

not sure where you were going with that but i feel like you've left a
bit off of that sentence.

> 2. There are many, many, many packages that are in the repos that *you*
> don't use! Every time you download one of these packages it is wasted
> bandwidth!

you don't get to tell anyone how to use their bandwidth.

> 3. Mirror bandwidth is not free! Every time you are downloading unused
> packages you are wasting the mirrors money! Why waste money? (Keep point
> 1 in mind)

since i already payed for that bandwidth and utilize it for other
purposes it is in fact free.

> 4. @Fess you and a few other people do not make the community.

not sure what point you're trying to make here

> 5. The majority of the community will agree that hosting a local mirror
> is silly considering that there are alternatives!

the majority of people at least in the western cultures will agree that
paedophilia is sick. the majority of these people don't know what
paedophilia is. again not sure where you're going with that so i thought
I'd make some wild pointless claims as well.

> 6. I am quite sure that mirror operators are not and will not be happy
> with users downloading gigs of data a month so they can have their own
> local mirror.

when you become a mirror operator or bring actual evidence to the table
you will have a say in this.

> 7. Remember, the local mirrors are generously mirroring for us. They are
> under *no obligation* to do so! Treat them with respect!

this doesn't make any sense.

> 8. If point 1 applies, then those people should be more than capable of
> producing their own scripts.

we are. but you see, the point you decided to side-step is that we're
being told that the existing script was bad, now, if it was bad fair
enough but no-one can(or will) tell us what was so wrong about it;
result: you're now forcing everyone that needs to create their own
script to do so and thus risk causing the same problems the old script
cause because as I've stated multiple times - no-one is telling us(me)
what the problems are with that script. it's all well and good to say
this or that is bad but if you're not going to tell anyone what's bad
about it then we'd all be better off if you hadn't opened your mouth at all.