[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Steve Holmes steve.holmes88 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 11:45:05 EDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 10:46:13PM -0400, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
> There is nothing preventing you from creating a local mirror. If you
> can't figure out how to create a local mirror using the resource
> available, you probably shouldn't be using arch.

Now, there's a supportive answer if I ever heard one.  That's the way
to get more people interested in using arch.

Most distros like to build up their presence and increase the numbers
and usage.  Obviously if everyone goes out there and attempts to build
local mirrors and all, that would put a big drain on the arch package
update process.  I don't think many people are doubting that and maybe
it should be discouraged however.  But the withholding of technical
knowledge with such arrogance is in poor taste if you ask me.  Like
others have been saying all along now, the original information was
pulled and no technical explanation was ever offered for why it was
wrong.

Now because of all this "secrecy" (in appearance), I've increased my
curiosity and may look into building a local mirror just so I know how
to do it.  Had the thing on the wiki site been corrected, I would have
probably just read it and kept it in the back of my mind for a day
when I would really need to do it.