[arch-general] 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 12:16:17 EDT 2010

On 09/19/2010 04:45 PM, Steve Holmes wrote:
> Most distros like to build up their presence and increase the numbers
> and usage.  Obviously if everyone goes out there and attempts to build
> local mirrors and all, that would put a big drain on the arch package
> update process.  I don't think many people are doubting that and maybe
> it should be discouraged however.  But the withholding of technical
> knowledge with such arrogance is in poor taste if you ask me.  Like
> others have been saying all along now, the original information was
> pulled and no technical explanation was ever offered for why it was
> wrong.
>
> Now because of all this "secrecy" (in appearance), I've increased my
> curiosity and may look into building a local mirror just so I know how
> to do it.  Had the thing on the wiki site been corrected, I would have
> probably just read it and kept it in the back of my mind for a day
> when I would really need to do it.

You have a point when you say that all this discussion will increase the
interest in creating a local mirror (for the people that read the
mailing list). Some people will think about it a bit more but never try
it (too much hassle for something they don't need or use), the ones that
really need it will either find a way to do it or have already created a
local mirror.

It seems to me that the major point here is the difference between the
wiki sort of endorsing a method to do it (which may put an higher load
on a mirror, which the maintainer needs to pay for) or the user to come
up with a way to do it.

I don't have any doubts that any half decent arch user can do so if
he/she wishes/needs to do it (these are the users most likely to need it
anyway), but having an example on the wiki that can possibly tax a
mirror because the procedure is not the most appropriate and the user
trying it just copies the procedures verbatim is just wrong.

--
Mauro Santos