[arch-general] BTRFS, a good choice for /?

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed Sep 22 09:34:57 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 18:37:56 Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> Hmm, after reading some responses, I don't think I'll use BTRFS on /,
> because the power here is quite unreliable and my UPS can't guarantee
> proper switching (it's nearly 12 yrs old!).
>
> So, what else would you guys recommend on / in order achieve high
> speed and no failures if the FS was left in an inconsistent state?

A good hard drive and ext4.

btrfs has been good for me for almost 9 months now. My backup and home
partitions are on btrfs and it is as invisible as ext4, just works for me,
including forced reboots from power loss. The inverter can't take the spike of
power loss, especially if a fan is running somewhere and causes pc to reboot.

To survive power loss, I recommend these two settings
ext4 : auto_da_alloc,noatime,defaults
btrfs : flushoncommit,noatime,defaults

To me, btrfs has been twice as fast compared to ext4, in some situations. List
archives should have more info.
--
Regards
 Shridhar