[arch-general] How do AUR packages get new maintainers?

Steve Holmes steve.holmes88 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 21:23:16 EDT 2010

Yeah, when I got started into learning package maintenance in Arch, I
recall reading the wiki pages for AUR and ABS (the Arch Build
System).  Sorry, I forget the exact links but the ABS stuff explains
PKGBUILDs really well and when I combined that with the AUR material,
I felt I was pretty will informed to start digging in and start
playing around with some PKGBUILDs I was interested in and then I took
on a couple packages that I was personally interested in maintaining.
I also have download some other packages that are only in AUR and I
built them on my own system in a /var/abs/local path so that also gave
me more self learned experience with packages and how these things
should be built.  Probably the area needing most attention paid to is
the standards that should be followed when building new PKGBUILDs.  Of
course, like most of us programmers tend to do, we can just copy other
PKGBUILDS and work from them; just hope they are well behaved or we
would be creating more bad packages from other bad ones <smile>.  But
then there's the .proto PKGBUILDs and install scripts that come with
the ABS package (if I remember right) that are good starters too.

Anyway, I rambled on here for a long time and probably caused even
more confusion but hopefully, this was of some value.