[arch-general] Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wants to become the next person after U.S. Senator Ernie Chambers to sue God

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Sep 23 01:58:19 EDT 2010

On 09/23/2010 12:16 AM, reflexing wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) of
> Singapore <enmingteo at lavabit.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to sue God for being too busy and unresponsive. How can I file a
>> lawsuit against Him at the United States Supreme Court?

<snip>

> Not this AGAIN!

Nope, he's screwed... About the farthest you can go to gain jurisdiction over a
foreigner is to sue under the Geneva Conventions' Treaty for the International
Service of Process, or other applicable treaty if the country in question wasn't
a signatory at the Geneva Convention.

In this case, I know of no treaty that extends to Heaven that authorizes the
inter-worlds service of process. So in short, the OP could not gain jurisdiction
over God. Even if he found a way to get process (a copy of the Complaint and
Summons) to God, God could just choose to ignore the pleadings. There would be a
defect in service on the face of the record and no court could enter a no-answer
default against God in that case.

Simply put - a mortal cannot gain jurisdiction over God in our legal system :p

P.S. - but anyone with a spare $260 can file a lawsuit and try :-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC