[arch-general] BTRFS, a good choice for /?

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Fri Sep 24 01:08:52 EDT 2010

On 09/23/2010 12:11 PM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> ah yes i forgot to mention that; i've unlcean shutdown both my laptop
> and netbook more times than i can count... no issues.  from the btrfs
> list, most people seem to have problems with unclean power down only
> when other layers/indirection are involved, like dm-crypt, etc.

This is not surprising. ZFS can also have problems when put on top of
some other system. These filesystems are made to be on the bare drives
and generally to provide their own raid/lvm interface (though btrfs
doesn't yet have a full raid implementation like zraid on ZFS).

I have been running ZFS on an SSD with /, and an HD with subvolumes for
/var, /tmp, /etc and /usr without any problems. Quite fond of subvolumes
too, it seems like a good way to break up and even limit a directory's
space without having to create a ton of separate partitions. The issues
seem to be related to a few usage scenarios, and will of course continue
to get better with every kernel release.