[arch-general] BTRFS, a good choice for /?

Christoph Rissner c.r at visotech.at
Fri Sep 24 02:16:05 EDT 2010

On 09/23/2010 05:47 PM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan<lists at itech7.com>  wrote:
>> No more experienced btrfs people here?
>> @shridhar, from your btrfs experience, it seems it's worth a try,
>> waiting for more positive feedbacks.
>
> ive had it as / on my laptop since .31 without issue.  my fiance has
> it as / on her netbook/ssd for about 6mo, also without issue (and it
> is very performant)

I've been using btrfs for ~6 months on my laptop on / and /home (same
partition, home being a subvol). It survived several unclean shutdowns
without any problem.

But I just went back to ext3 some days ago, even with noatime btrfs
seemed rather slow. I also suspect btrfs was waking up the disk pretty
often (at least thats what lm-profiler told me).

Its a pity, but someday I will try it again.

Christoph