[arch-general] BTRFS, a good choice for /?

Christoph Rissner c.r at visotech.at
Mon Sep 27 03:25:44 EDT 2010

On 09/27/2010 09:12 AM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> just heads up; if you want to try the rollback stuff in
> mkinitcpio-btrfs (AUR), then your system_must_  live inside a
> subvolume (specifically... __active).
>
> the hook will do the appropriate things to prepare your system, but it
> will leave a "phantom" copy of the current system "under" your / that
> must be removed manually, AFAIK it can only be removed via `rm -rf`.
>
> way around is to get a copy of btrfs-progs during install and prep the disk.
>
> hook explains all this when booting for the first time using it.  when
> i get some motivation to work on it, kernel rollbacks will be
> supported; hook needs some love to take advantage of newer btrfs
> features :-/, but it works just fine.

Ah thanks, I forgot to mention your wonderful btrfs hook.
It really works great, just don't forget to take snapshots before
Syu'ing :-)

I also added an fstab entry like:
/dev/<my_root_device> /var/root btrfs noatime,defaults,subvol=. 0 0

to quickly access the "." snapshot, IIRC I could traverse down to all
other snapshots from there.

Bye,
Christoph