[arch-general] Best Practices...

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:55:12 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 00:12 +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Ray Rashif's message of 2010-09-28 23:19:19 +0200:
> > On 29 September 2010 03:33, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Ng Oon-Ee's message of 2010-09-28 21:06:57 +0200:
> > >
> > > I'm curious, what can it actually do? Build from ABS, ok, but
> > > automatically with my modifications? What about alternative packages
> > > only found in AUR?
> >
> > Check out the features:
> >
> > "* option to trust specific AUR users to fully automate AUR package building"
> >
> > From: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/bauerbill/
>
> Ok, but what does this mean? I see a list of features but it's hard to
> get see use cases from a list.
>
> Trust an AUR user means I can for example trust myself and have it build
> a package from my sources. That's pretty much all it tells me.
> It doesn't tell me whether it solves any of my problems, whether it can
> do something like automatically building the latest version of packages
> with the options I want.

You can specify a patchdir which makes automatic modifications to the
PKGBUILD. Its less useful than it sounds though, would prefer a bit more
flexibility (like a 'hook' running some sed commands), but its great
as-is.

So for example you can set it to 'always-build' mplayer, when there's an
mplayer update that's what it will do. If there's a relevant patch in
your PATCHDIR (or whatever its called now) that'll be applied.

Trusting an AUR user simply means no prompt for 'are you sure you want
to compile this, please check it first' for packages from said user.