[arch-general] Can a ISP modify incoming http traffic to display ads using transparent proxy server ?

Partha Chowdhury partha at gmx.us
Sat Apr 2 04:02:11 EDT 2011

On 02/04/11 12:38, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> What happens if you go to an https: site?  The data generally cannot
> be modified between the server and your browser in that case.
>
> Also... your in-browser proxy choice works around the ISP proxy?
> Interesting.
>
> (Is the cable operator trying to be unpopular while making ad-money?)
>
> -Isaac

Sorry I forgot to add that.On more trial and error - I see

1> on https no ad is displayed

2> Even on ftp sites no ad is displayed.

Only happens with pages on http://.

Another interesting thing, after installing adblock-plus, an x mark is
displayed on http pages just where the ad used to be.After
right-cliking, i see an url 172.16.2.194/streamride/* in adblock plus
filter blocking dialog.Interestingly my ISP is also running squid
3.2.0.4 on streamride host which is evident by trying to connect to
random ip addresses and seeing the error page.