[arch-general] [signoff] kernel26-2.6.38.2-1

Adrian C. anrxc at sysphere.org
Mon Apr 4 15:08:05 EDT 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:

> I don't think Lilo should be a show stopper. Use a more modern
> bootloader such as Syslinux (if you want simple), Grub 1 or Grub 2.

Modern, like grub? LILO is in [core], and is actively being developed.

It was also a part of the Arch installation from which i got it in the
first place. Now, I agree it doesn't have to be a show stopper, but some
serious warnings are needed at least. There are many more users out
there, be sure of that. In fact, here they are already, saying pretty
much the same things I am going to say below:

Grub1 is considered obsolete? It has bugs, lacks features, it has many
forks, all of them now pretty much forgotten. Last time I considered
grub2 it was still "development grade" and I also got a feeling of
frequent user problems from the list, bug tracker and BBS. LILO on the
other hand never failed to boot.

I would never trade LILO for grub, but I am contemplating a switch to
syslinux since I saw a video of Dieter's talk at FOSDEM.

> Just out of interest, are you only booting this kernel with lilo or
> others too?

Just LILO, I haven't tried grub, but did wrote a menu.lst in advance if
I had to.

--
Adrian C. (anrxc) | anrxc..sysphere.org | PGP ID: D20A0618
PGP FP: 02A5 628A D8EE 2A93 996E  929F D5CB 31B7 D20A 0618