[arch-general] Where should system-wide vim files go?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Apr 5 07:18:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:47, Peter Lewis <plewis at aur.archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2011, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
>> Checked out some other vim colour-themes on the AUR, the majority seem
>> to install to the same location. Some choose /usr/share/vim/vim**
>> instead, but that breaks when vim updates. Perhaps
>> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles makes more sense (only found one PKGBUILD
>> using that so far).
>
> I believe that now the correct behaviour is for things that are version specific
> to go in /usr/share/vim/vimXX and everything else to go in
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles.
>
> Some vim-ninja can probably correct me, though :-)
>
> Pete.
>
> PS. Yes, by this standard, many PKGBUILDS in the AUR are wrong, and need fixing.

IMNSHO there are *very* few vim extensions that should ever be
installed centrally.  I'd recommend every vim user to embrace
GetLatestVimScripts[1] instead.  For the other stuff (read "broken vim
extensions") I created vim-scripts-mgr[2].  :-)

/M

[1]: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=642
[2]: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26318

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org