[arch-general] Change Arch's default crond

Thorsten Töpper atsutane at freethoughts.de
Tue Apr 5 12:03:11 EDT 2011

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 08:41:13 +0200
Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:

> We all know the situation with dcron (it can't keep time properly) and
> it still is broken. No fix (or any changes for that matter) have gone
> into its upstream git for over a year now. There have been multiple
> yeah-I'll-take-a-looks from various people as well as its upstream
> maintainer and no work was done.
>
> I certainly don't want to offend anybody but I think it is time
> another crond was made quasi default by swapping it for dcron in base
> group. I know that users can do that themselves but the we shouldn't
> suggest packages we know are broken by putting them into the base
> group. Perhaps fcron is a fine choice.
>
> Bug report for reference: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18681
>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

As I maintain fcron in [community]: I won't mind if it's decided to
replace dcron as default. If I remember correctly, this is the third
thread about a replacement because of this bug, so I'd welcome a clear
"Yes, we decide to replace it with X." or a "No, now stop to annoy
us.". Still I'm TU not Dev so that's a plain beg.

However just as a notice: it's not a plain package replacement, as one
other package has to be modified for this, if not there are currently
some problems with fcron's build process if that's not done.

fcron needs the user and group 'cron' which are later used at the
system to exist already at build time, to create these in the chroots is
currently not possible to do with devtools, because of missing PAM
Authorization within the chroots.

Long story short: If it's moved to [core] don't forget to provide a
cron user and a cron group[1] with the filesystem package.

Regards,
Thorsten

[1]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database
--
Jabber: atsutane at freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4     FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4