[arch-general] Change Arch's default crond

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Apr 6 19:06:58 EDT 2011

Am Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:57:58 -0600
schrieb Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com>:

> All I want is a good decision to be made and have a crond that is not
> buggy. Therefore I think that it is foolish not to present the
> available options in an accurate light.

fcron is absolutely not buggy as far as I can tell. I'm using it since
years now and it always did what it should do. I tried dcron when it
was adopted by this Arch user, but switched back to fcron pretty soon,
because dcron was indeed not reliable.

cronie is no option for me because of the lack of integrated anacron
features.

But all those arguments including not having a buggy crond have been
discussed many times before by a lot of users, TUs and devs.

But then dcron's new developer said that he wanted to fix those bugs
and so dcron was kept as the default. This was the only reason as far
as I recall.

I understand Sven-Hendriks e-mail just as a reminder of this fact and
that dcron's upstream still hasn't fixed the issue. I don't think that
Sven-Hendrik wanted to start a new discussion about that even if it
started again nevertheless.

Heiko