[arch-general] Change Arch's default crond

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Fri Apr 8 03:33:15 EDT 2011

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 23:16:46 +0200
Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> On the other hand this issue could be solved in a different way
> without any further discussions. There's a need for installing one
> cron daemon, but no need for a default cron daemon. It's pretty the
> same issue as with the bootloaders. There's no default bootloader
> anymore and currently it doesn't make sense anymore to define one
> bootloader as the default, because they all have different features
> and it depends on the system configuration which bootloader is the
> best. In the development isos AIF asks the user to choose one of
> currently two bootloaders (grub and syslinux), more (grub2 and lilo)
> could or should be added. And this bootloader is automatically chosen
> by AIF in the package selection. The same could be made for the cron
> daemons. Put every cron daemon into [core] and let the user choose
> his preferred cron daemon during installation.

Can we do the same thing for cron daemons? Don't other packages contain
crontab files, or something like that?  I.e. is it possible to just
swap crons and keep a (stock) Arch system working?
If so, it *could* be possible to do what you suggest, but don't forget,
Arch primary objective is simplicity, not choice.

If there is a cron daemon that does what we need, we should just make
it the default, period.

Dieter