[arch-general] Archiso, archiso_early, and udev issues with live cd

Tom medhurst tom.medhurst at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 06:42:25 EDT 2011

Hi Guys,

I'm attempting to create my own Arch Live CD and I can't get the archiso
hook to complete successfully.

In March 2010, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi removed the archiso_early hook from
archiso.git, which used to mount /dev/archiso (I'm not entirely sure what
this pointed to, but it's clearly required). In the commit message he said it
was removed because we could rely on /dev/disk/by-label to get the device
(created by udev).

However I have built a custom live CD using mkarchiso and there is no
/dev/disk available to me, so this boot process fails.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why this is missing, and what I can do
to get this booting?

My mkinitcpio.conf file looks like this:

*HOOKS="base udev memdisk archiso archiso_pxe_nbd archiso_loop_mnt pata scsi
sata usb fw pcmcia filesystems usbinput"*

So udev is definately being run before archiso, but I only have the
following in /dev:

   - char
   - console
   - cpu_dma_latency