[arch-general] [arch-announce] GNOME3 in [testing]

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 8 20:21:11 EDT 2011

On 04/08/2011 02:11 AM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Matthew Monaco<dgbaley27 at verizon.net>  wrote:
>> I like having volume control for HDMI out. And I like that this mysterious
>> starving audio, playing silence, glitch has disappeared. But I don't like
>> that pulse uses so much CPU and i think it's a major reason why my computer
>> is runn 5-8 degrees C hotter with gnome3
>
> FWIW, this is almost certainly a bug that can be fixed. In my
> experience PA allows huge power savings compared to ALSA (down from
> more than 100 wakeups/sec to less than 10 wakeups/sec).
>
> Try debugging a bit to see what is going on powertop2 should be very helpful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

I don't see how your CPU can be _less_ active with PA. I thought PA added a
layer that didn't exist before and didn't actually remove anything.

I'll say though, that changing VLC from 'default' or explicitly ALSA to
PulseAudio dropped CPU usage of PA from ~16% to 3%. (It's mysterious to me why
that 3% remains when the media is paused though).

I guess I need to go through gstreamer and other app-specific settings and
explicitly point to PA.