[arch-general] Gnome 3 + KDE 4 are both large disappointments.

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 10:09:25 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Dennis Beekman
<d.c.beekman.devel at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are being forced to use de's like openbox or xfce wich is the primary
> reason people shy away from unix/linux when changing from Windows to another
> OS.
> It just becomes to confusing and complicated from they point of view and
> they choose MAC or another Windows versions instead.

Perhaps being 'forced' to those DEs is a good thing? Linux has lots of
choices. Those who don't want choice can use some other OS just fine,
all power to them.

> Even i as a seasoned linux user ho switched over from ubuntu to arch a while
> ago it doesn't make any sense to me why they would do this.... i tell you
> the amount of Gnome users in my point is view in going to halve if not drop
> any further then that.
>
> But ofcourse it is Gnome at fault here and not ARCH but still, can we not
> keeps the latest "old" version from before the release in the nomal repo's
> until they update 3.0 a couple of times ?

No, because that's not how Arch works. Gnome3 is not broken, nor will
it break anyone's computer. Arch is bleeding-edge, it said so on the
sticker when you installed it =)