[arch-general] Using "python3 setup.py" in PKGBUILDs

Aaron DeVore aaron.devore at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 18:57:53 EDT 2011

I recently started creating/maintaining packages for the AUR. One
request I've run up against is allowing users to relink
/usr/bin/python to /usr/bin/python2, but still have package building
work. Apparently the current policy is to use "python setup.py" for
Python 3 packages, but that breaks Python 3 package building for users
who relink. Using "python3 setup.py" fixes that problem.

Could that policy change? I searched around for a conversation, but
couldn't find anything. Also, the policy itself is undocumented in the
wiki and /usr/share/pacman/PKGBUILD-python.proto.

-Aaron DeVore