[arch-general] Gnome 3 + KDE 4 are both large disappointments.

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Apr 11 06:38:43 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 21:50 +0200, Dennis Beekman wrote:
> 1. You cannot change the panels anymore you stuck with the 2 given by
> gnome 3.
> 2. Changing themes also is inpossible.. or so it seems.
> 3. Why do we need a system settings menu with all the options in one
> menu ? where are my seperate icons i love so much ? why can we choose
> wich icons or options we want ?
> 4. What about the people ho don't have or don't wich to use they're
> video hardware to run the these stupid graphics ... are we stuck with
> "fallback mode" wich is even more stupid and backward ?
> 5 Where did all the nice applets go ? and why can i not add them to
> my
> taskbar anymore....

1. Try pressing alt. It should be documented somewhere, but it's in the
NEWS file for gnome-panel at least
2. The UI was removed, but you can still set things in dconf and gconf.
When Adwaita looked like crap in fallback mode, I've used Mist for a
long while.
3. Design choice, Mac OS X has this too and in the view of gnome-shell,
this is a logic choice. The control-center with grouped applet view
already existed for a long time in 2.x versions also, but only SuSE used
it I think.
4. Fallback mode is just like classic GNOME in looks, though you have
the new theming and new apps. I used fallback mode for a long while and
I'm still forced to do so on this desktop, the step from 2.x to 3.x in
fallback mode is very small
5. Applets are not nice, but for the icons and things that were ported
to the new panel-applet API, you can just press alt while right-clicking
your panel to add it like you used to do.