[arch-general] libre office java support

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Apr 13 03:31:19 EDT 2011

Am Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:16:30 +0200
schrieb Dennis Beekman <d.c.beekman.devel at gmail.com>:

> I suspected as much when both packages seemed to work :-)
> but can we change the Libre Office packages to depend upon JRE
> instead ? Openjdk6 is missing a lot of functionality such as browser
> support, JRE would be a better choice..

As already explained LibreOffice depends on java-runtime and not on
openjdk6. So it's up to you which JRE or JDK you install. If you don't
install one explicitly OpenJDK is installed. But you can easily install
Oracle's JRE or JDK instead (pacman -S jre) and the dependency is still
resolved.

If java-runtime would be replaced by jre in the depends then it was not
possible anymore to have OpenJDK and LibreOffice installed at the same
time. So people who want to use LibreOffice would be forced to using
JRE and prevented from using OpenJDK or vice versa.

And, btw., libreoffice can't depend on jre directly, because libreoffice
is in [extra] and jre is in [community].

Heiko