[arch-general] What are people's opinions about this?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Apr 14 03:55:59 EDT 2011

Am Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:33:06 +0300
schrieb Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at xsmail.com>:

> I will post about this here and not the bug tracker, hoping more
> people will read it. If you are interested in learning about the X
> clipboard consult this document:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-latest.txt
> its the latest standard i know of.
> Additionally, some Debian developer actually wrote man pages for this
> "very poorly documented" but very useful application:
>
> autocutsel(1): http://goo.gl/oLjME
> cutsel(1): http://goo.gl/al1WN
>
> Heres a step by step demonstration:

Sorry, but I still don't know why I should need autocutsel. The old, X
standard way just works. I never had any problems and I never felt the
need for something different.

And I really don't want to read tons of documentations about a tool I
don't need. And because I don't need it I don't want to be forced to
using it, and I don't want to be forced to using it the way an admin
thinks I should use it.

Like I said before, the clipboards of at least KDE and Xfce, and I bet
Gnome's clipboard, too, allow me to synchronize both buffers or to keep
them separated. And I can move the clipboard content from one buffer to
the other with those DE's clipboards.

Why do I need autocutsel? People who need or want it, can install it
separately. But, if it's installed, the user must have the possibility
to configure it the way he wants and he must have the choice of running
or not running it.

And as far as I know there's a way to start and configure it in
~/.xinitrc. So this is the way to go within the autocutsel package.
Well, if there's a system wide config then it must be possible to have
this changed/overwritten by the user to his needs.

Heiko