[arch-general] gnome-shell - massive cpu usage in dual screen mode

Christoph Glaubitz chris+arch at chrigl.de
Fri Apr 15 17:32:50 EDT 2011

Hi,

I installed gnome3 from testing today, and it works fine so far.
But in dual screen mode, the gnome-shell uses between 50 and 100% cpu
continuous. Just after login, without any other programs running.

If I switch off one of my displays - it does not matter which one, the
laptop display or the vga plugged - gnome-shell runs on 1% cpu usage
again. It is also possible to switch between the displays without
problems, as long as one of them is switched off.

Since this is a 6(?) year old Intel 915GM chipset, it's maybe just
related to too little grafical power.

Is anyone able to confirm this on a more powerful machine?

--
chris