[arch-general] shadow 4.1.4.3-1: hyphen in /etc/pam.d/login

Ionuț Bîru ibiru at archlinux.org
Tue Apr 19 11:04:59 EDT 2011

On 04/19/2011 05:32 PM, Martin Feilhauer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> investigating some trouble with mounting of external usb-disks recently,
> I went through /etc/ and stumbled over an entry in the shadow packages
> default /etc/pam.d/login (last three lines):
>
> session		optional	pam_lastlog.so
> session		optional	pam_loginuid.so
> -session	optional	pam_ck_connector.so nox11
>
> Removing the leading hyphen on the last line I got rid of trouble with
> usb-disks, but I'm not sure... was this intentional - like commented
> out, or is there a typo in the packages defaults?
>
> Regards, Martin

that is intended.

man pam.d

" If the type value from the list above is prepended with a - character
the PAM library will not log to the system log if it is not possible to
load the module because it is missing in the system. This can be useful
especially for modules which are not always installed on the system and
are not required for correct authentication and authorization of the
login session."

--
Ionuț