[arch-general] Change Arch's default crond

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 19:07:21 EDT 2011

On 22/04/11 00:30, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> Ionut Biru wrote:
>> if this will happen, the steps are very simple
>> 1) remove dcron from core
>> 2) add cronie/fcron to core in base group and depending on the package,
>> it might have conflicts=dcron but not replaces
>>
>> this way the existent systems will still have a "working" cron and new
>> installations will have the new cron
>>

> Has that ever happened before?
> That means the existing systems will have a package from base thats not
> supported by the Arch developers.

The package will no longer be in the 'base' group, and most likely end
up in the AUR. Therefore, it will not be a supported package, and the
output of `pacman -Qm' will reflect that.

> But since its not replaced, it would make it an infinite part of Arch so
> it should also be supported.

As I mention above, my understanding is that dcron will be moved to the AUR.

> Plus, the 2010.05 ISOs will still (try to) install it, but it wont be
> there, and there wont be an upgrade path either.

In offline installations, the package will exist on the installation
media. On netinstalls, the new cron daemon will get installed to the
target system instead.