[arch-general] How to install a group when a package with same name exists?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Apr 22 08:37:02 EDT 2011

 On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:32:07 +0200, Cédric Girard
 <girard.cedric at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I wanted to install the group (xorg-apps). But there is a
> package with
> the same name. I did not find a way to tell pacman I wanted the group
> and
> not the package.
>
> I ended doing this:
> sudo pacman -S `pacman -Sg xorg-apps | sed 's!xorg-apps \(.*\)!\1!'`
>
> But there must be an easier way. Any thought about this?
>
> Regards,

 Hm, crap, didn't think of that when I changed the groups and replaced
 that dummy package...

 Anyways, I think the only way around this is by making the package
 disappear from extra.db.tar.gz on your system and then install the
 xorg-apps group. I'll get around removing xorg-apps soon, there's still
 a package in the repositories that depends on it.