[arch-general] scipy package - is there anything important that stops the update to 0.9?

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 22 12:21:45 EDT 2011

On 23 April 2011 00:08, Andrzej Giniewicz <gginiu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to ask if there are any important issues regarding update of
> python-scipy? It's been flagged out of date for nearly two months,
> that's quite long time for Arch standards! Is there any issue
> remaining to be solved, anything I can help with? I'd really like to
> see this updated to 0.9, as I have some aur packages waiting for this.

If you check out the buildscripts from Subversion (or from the GIT
clone of the repository), you'll notice that it has already been
updated. Granted, that in itself took longer than usual, but I suppose
that was basically just lack of maintainer time.

The main issue now is linking to lapack, which fails. There is a
symlink hack (you can refer to the python3- PKGBUILD in AUR), but we
do not know why and how (this works). Without that hack, SciPy should
not be choosy about linking to static or dynamic lapack libs, but in
this case it builds only if a static lapack is present. The reason for
the stall in releasing an update is basically waiting to sort out this
behaviour. Otherwise, it's good to go.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10