[arch-general] pacman: -Ss search results weird

Marek Otahal markotahal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:18:14 EDT 2011

Hi,
regarding the recent 'default syslog' discussion I wanted to check what is
Arch up to now...I came to interesting results concerning pacman's search
behavior.

[marek at beruska ~]$ pacman -Ss syslog
core/perl 5.12.3-1 [12.06 MB] (base) [installed]
    A highly capable, feature-rich programming language
core/syslog-ng 3.2.2-2 [0.21 MB] (base)
    Next-generation syslogd with advanced networking and filtering
capabilities
extra/metalog 1.0-1 [0.02 MB]
    Metalog is a modern replacement for syslogd and klogd
community/perl-device-modem 1.53-1 [0.04 MB]
    Perl extension to talk to modem devices connected via serial port
community/rsyslog 5.8.0-1 [0.25 MB] [installed]
    An enhanced multi-threaded syslogd with a focus on security and
reliability
[marek at beruska ~]$

I thought pacman -Ss "string" searches packages' name and desc for the string,
I wonder why the perl things show up?
Cheers & happy Eastern! :)

--

Marek Otahal :o)