[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.04.1-2

gt codered12 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 22:10:35 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 03:19:04AM +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:01:23 +0800
> schrieb Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com>:
>
> > I was under the impression that windows versions from Windows XP
> > onwards had a registry key which enabled them to use UTC time.
>
> Well, I'm not using Windows anymore for many years. So I can be
> wrong, but I didn't know such a registry key, yet.
>
> Now I found one blog and one forum which point to such a registry key,
> but you still have to use a registry editor or tweaker on Windows. So
> it's not a common option in Windows, and I guess it's pretty unknown.
> I'd suggest to better assume that Windows users usual have their
> hardware clock set to localtime.

Well, i sometimes use windows xp, though only for gaming. I didn't know
that windows xp could be set to use UTC, even through a registry entry.

After reading through this thread, i found info on how to enable UTC on
windows. But there have been some bugs reported as well. So, if we
indeed need to discourage use of localtime in rc.conf, firstly there
should be a news entry about this. And if possible, post-installation,
there should be instructions on how to enable UTC on windows.