[arch-general] Printer driver

Thorsten Töpper atsutane at freethoughts.de
Fri Apr 29 02:24:48 EDT 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:50:55 +0200
Maciej Sobkowski <maciejjo at maciejjo.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to install driver for my Brother DCP-J315W printer. I've
> downloaded driver files from brother's site, since there is no
> package, neither in repo nor in aur. It was in deb format, also rpm
> available. The driver is split into two packages: dcpj315wlpr and
> dcpj315wcupswrapper. I converted them to tar.gz archive with
> deb2targz, extracted and I don't know where to put the files to get
> the driver working.
>
> Hierarchy in
> cupswrapper:  /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcpj315w/cupswrapper/, and
> there are brcupsconfpt1  brdcpj315w.ppd  cupswrapperdcpj315w files.
>
> In lpr there is /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcpj315w/lpd/ where are
> brdcpj315wfilter  filterdcpj315w  psconvertij2,
>
> and /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcpj315w/inf/ where are
>  brdcpj315wfunc  brio08ba.bcm  brio08bc.bcm  brio08bf.bcm
> brio08bk.bcm paperinfij2
> brdcpj315wrc    brio08bb.bcm  brio08be.bcm  brio08bg.bcm  ImagingArea
> setupPrintcapij
>
> and also usr/bin with brprintconf_dcpj315w.
>
> Should I put them in these directories in my system?
>
> maciejjo

Well there are quite a bunch of packages[1] in [unsupported] you could
use as a reference. I guess taking a package from there and modifying
it to fit for your printer, would be the easiest way to handle this.

Regards,
Thorsten

[1]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&K=Brother&do_Search=Go
--
Jabber: atsutane at freethoughts.de Blog: http://atsutane.freethoughts.de/
Key: 295AFBF4     FP: 39F8 80E5 0E49 A4D1 1341 E8F9 39E4 F17F 295A FBF4