[arch-general] Blender Bus Error

Nicolás Adamo nicoadamo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:03:26 EDT 2011

Hi! Does anyone have any clue about this?

[nico at myhost ~]$ blender -d
Blender 2.49 (sub 2) Build
argv[0] = blender
argv[1] = -d
Compiled with Python version 2.7.1.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
Color depth r 5 g 6 b 5
Aux buffers: 0
read file
   Version 247 sub 5
read file
   Version 245 sub 16

ordered
  OBCube
  OBLamp
  OBCamera
File .Blanguages not found

Registering scripts in Blender menus ...

Getting menu data for scripts from file:
/home/nico/.blender/Bpymenus

Color depth r 5 g 6 b 5
Aux buffers: 0
Color depth r 5 g 6 b 5
Aux buffers: 0
Color depth r 5 g 6 b 5
Aux buffers: 0
Bus error
[nico at myhost ~]$

Running Blender alone without -d (debug) give simply "Bus error". I
googled a lot about it but couldn't find nothing for certain. Some guy
troubleshooted this error by deleting a file in his home directory, but
that file seems to be created when running Blender for the first time.

It's running on i386 atom with poulsbo driver PSB working well (to say
something... it's a crappy video card and even crappier for linux, not
even mention for blender).
I suspect it's not related to some step missing in installation, as when
installing Blender on a decent desktop PC it works at once. (AMD64
architecture with ATI videocard and catalyst driver).

To my surprise, when first trying kub. 11.04 and before I could
configure the video driver, blender did start! When adding the ppa:PSB
or similar the system couldn't start again. So I think the problem is
related to some missconfiguration in the PSB.

My xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Monitor0"
EndSection