[arch-general] Plasma-desktop in KDE 4.7 can not start up

Stefano Avallone stavallo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 08:52:02 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 06:34:53 PM Leon Feng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After upgrade to KDE 4.7, plasma-desktop can not start anymore. Login in
> from kdm will stop at the splash screen.
> Switch to console by ctrl + alt + F1 and then run "top" plasma-desktop is
> using 100% CPU.
> Run "pkill plasma-desktop" , Login continue. But screen is black. I check
> .xsession-error file and found nothing special.
>
> Does anyone encounter the same problem? How to find more info to track down
> this problem? Thanks.

Try to login with a fresh new account. If the problem persists, it might be
due to the kwin compositor not liking your graphics driver. In that case, you
might try to disable compositing (set "OpenGLIsUnsafe" to true in your
~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc) and restart KDE. If that works, you might try to
change some advanced options in the Desktop Effects settings (e.g., try to
disable "Use OpenGL 2 Shaders") and try to re-enable compositing. You might
also consider to file a bug upstream.

Stefano