[arch-general] Installation of libreoffice

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Aug 4 06:30:57 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Ray Rashif's message of 2011-08-04 12:13:45 +0200:
> On 4 August 2011 17:35, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > In this specific case I don't think the upstream name matters much since
> > I even have a hard time figuring out how upstream calls this part of LO.
> > I don't know where the packager got the name from but it might well have
> > been the ubuntu package for all I can figure out. I personally find a
> > sane naming scheme in arch more important than consistency across
> > distros (which would be pretty much the only reason to go with the
> > 'wrong' name).
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide/Linux
>
> Has 'GNOME' and 'KDE' sprawled all over.

Some wiki page, big deal. Doesn't mean we have to use gnome.

> In this case, implying gtk is as misleading as implying gnome; it is
> no better. The office suite really does not look native at all, it
> just tries its best to be close to the 'desktop' (overall) _theme_
> with icons and an appropriate file chooser. So technically, and
> ultimately, it is not appropriate to imply gtk since it does a
> horrible job with integrating to a widget system.

It uses the theme, icons and file chooser, that's already a lot for a
thing that's about looks.

> In other cases, where the respective gtk and qt packages override for
> say, a UI, then the gtk implication rather than gnome would be
> appropriate.

So how does gnome make any more sense? It's not using a gnome UI either.

> It's not always possible to make the non-DE users happy. In fact,
> non-DE users have to adapt to the latest conventions and most
> importantly, adapt to the norm. It is up to us to see whether an
> integration works satisfactorily and without all the bulk, rather than
> demand it. Expecting '-gnome' or '-kde' to always come with their
> desktop-specific dependencies is not a proper expectation, for it is
> not always "integration" in the correct, or full, sense.

I have no idea what you're talking about in this paragraph.

> Many applications claiming 'gtk' as part of its name or description
> actually depend on gnome libraries. It's a fragmentation we have to
> deal with, because it's a popular practice, and thus, the norm.

No, this is just wrong and reinforcing bad practice.