[arch-general] Installation of libreoffice

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 4 15:51:46 EDT 2011

On 4 August 2011 18:30, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Some wiki page, big deal. Doesn't mean we have to use gnome.

Nope. Does not. In the same manner, there is also nothing about gtk.

> It uses the theme, icons and file chooser, that's already a lot for a
> thing that's about looks.

It's really just a small part. If you take a look at the kde
integration, it's nowhere near how a kde or qt app looks like. So
implying qt rather than kde doesn't make things any better.

> So how does gnome make any more sense? It's not using a gnome UI either.

It makes sense because 'gtk' does not equate to 'desktop', while
'gnome' does. You'd have to rewrite the program to have it integrate
with either gtk or qt in full. This is why:

Integration with the desktop rather than the widget style does not
carry a strong obligation, because you can smack on some icons and you
can call it "integration".

> No, this is just wrong and reinforcing bad practice.

Indeed, but nobody is reinforcing anything. To you it may be wrong,
but to others it may not. In this case it's just a simple matter of
what looks OK and what is enough. Renaming 'gnome' to 'gtk' will _not_
make things any better, aside from serving the personal satisfaction
of some. In short, there is no need to be anal.

If you feel strongly about this, you can file a Feature Request :)

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10