[arch-general] Enforcing CFLAGS in PKGBUILDs

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Thu Aug 4 19:35:45 EDT 2011

In the course of a discussion with the xwax [1] developer, I was asked
the question why we would override CFLAGS (optimization levels, in
particular) if upstream already provides them. Given that there are in
fact loads of packages in our repositories that seem to follow this
practice (`grep -- '-O[0-9]' /var/abs/*/*/PKGBUILD` reveals some of
those), I'm forwarding this question to the ML.

My own opinion is that we shouldn't patch anything here. While using the
same optimization flags for all packages might result in some kind of
consistency, one of our main guidelines - not to do any unnecessary
modifications - is kind of violated here. We should trust upstream
having chosen any explicit optimization flags with care (in some cases,
enforcing optimization flags might even lead to heavy performance
impacts - although this is unlikely to happen). I am aware that there
are some corner cases for sure, for which I'd say overriding CFLAGS is
okay. However, this shouldn't be common practice, imho.

Opinions?

Link to the original thread (for clarification) [2].

[1] http://www.xwax.co.uk/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=1108042258340.847%40localhost&forum_name=xwax-devel