[arch-general] [signoff] linux 3.0.1-1

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sat Aug 6 12:27:41 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:58, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> please signoff the 3.0 series for both architectures.
>
> Note: the upgrade path from 3.0-2 to 3.0.1-1 is not entirely smooth if
> you rely on the vmlinuz26 compat symlink. However, the upgrade path from
> core/kernel26 to this version is smooth.
>
> Upstream changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> Arch Linux Changes:
> - Rename the package: kernel26 -> linux
> - Added necessary replaces=(...)
> - Removed old comments and vercmps from .install file
> - Removed old comments and replaces from PKGBUILD
> - added compatibility symlinks for the old kernel and initramfs
>  filenames in order to not break existing bootloader entries (only
>  affects upgrades, not new installations)
> - removed System.map file, not needed anymore as we provide
>  /proc/kallsyms

I haven't upgraded from 3.0-2 to 3.0.1-1 yet, but thought I would get
some clarification. I'm assuming the reference to fixing your
bootloader means having edited the kernel and initramfs lines to point
to vmlinuz-linux and initramfs-linux.img and
initramfs-fallback-linux.img. The reason for clarification is, we all
know when one assumes something you make an "ass out of u and me".

If that's correct I should have it made, it's the first thing I did
when I installed the new linux 3.0 kernel.

Myra