[arch-general] lost+found is quite big, although I haven't lost anything?

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Mon Aug 8 14:19:31 EDT 2011

Hi,

since the free space on my system is getting less and less, I was about
to clean it up when realizing that my "lost+found" directory on this
ext4 formatted partition is about 37G big.

The system hasn't crashed so far, wasn't shutdown improperly (as it is
attached to a UPS), so its seems quite strange to me. I immediately
unmounted the partition and ran an fsck (both with and without the force
parameter), but it hasn't reported anything wrong, nor cleaned up the
directory.

I'm now a little bit concerned as to why this happened and what to do
about the directory. Can it be safely removed? Where do this 37G come from?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch