[arch-general] cups not starting on boot after last 2 kernel updates? -- where to put it in the DAEMONS line?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Aug 9 11:25:17 EDT 2011

It would appear that on Aug 8, Peter Bui did say:

> You have @cups in DAEMONS ... probably need @cupsd?

It would appear that on Aug 8, J. W. Birdsong did say:

> You need to start  cupsd in rc.conf daemons... not cups

It would appear that on Aug 8, David C. Rankin did say:

> Peter, J.W. -- thank you. (slaps self for stupidity) That is a
> 'forest-for-the-trees' issue it would have taken days to see!

Hmmmnnn. Now I'm confused... According to my console login prompt, I'm
currently using 2.6.39-ARCH And after a recent pacman -Syu cups stopped

There had, if I remember right, been a {is it 'rc.confpacnew' or
'rc.conf.pacnew'?} that didn't have cups listed in the daemons line.
Anyway I remember putting "cupsd" the new rc.conf first, and when that didn't
work I edited it to just say "cups". I didn't think much about it at the time.
All I cared was that my printer worked again.

But why would one Arch Linux installation need "cups" in the daemons line
while another needs "cupsd"???