[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] removing cryptsetup from base group

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Tue Aug 9 11:42:32 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 03:37:15PM +0300, Ionut Biru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this package brings in our clean chroots libgcrypt dependency.
>
> Until recently, gnutls had libcrypt as dependency but now it relies
> on nettle. That means that packages  linked to gnutls and relied on
> libgcrypt dependency from it, will be broken.
>
> We have a gnutls 3.0.0 rebuild in progress in staging and because
> libgcrypt is in our clean chroots, everything is fine, functionality
> wise but I noticed that we skipped adding ligcrypt to dependency
> mostly because namcap and us assume that everybody have base group
> installed.
>
> Please check your packages to see if they link to libgcrypt and add
> it to dependency if they do.

-1 to removing cryptsetup from base. Note that cryptsetup is an
essential tool for setups with system encryption enabled and is required
during boot time. It should also stay on our CDs (not only as available
package but also installed on the root-image to allow for using the CD
as a Live CD, even if partitions are encrypted; AIF probably depends on
it as well). Additionally, removing cryptsetup from base will require
users to install it manually when using mkinitcpio's "encrypt" hook. If
you decide to remove it anyway, keep in mind to:

* Keep it on our Live CDs.

* Add a note to our default "/etc/mkinitcpio.conf".

* Maybe also add some note in AIF.