[arch-general] Xfce, Thunar and USB stick

F.Gr. francesco.groccia at poste.it
Tue Aug 9 15:08:22 EDT 2011

Axilleas P [2011-08-09T15:29 CEST]:

> On Aug 9, 2011 11:23 AM, "Ionut Biru" <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 08/09/2011 11:15 AM, F.Gr. wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> I'm using Xfce and Thunar. My USB stick is mounted without write
> >> access.
> >>
> >> I've set the hints for PolicyKit
> >> (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PolicyKit),
> >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Thunar#Thunar_Volume_Manager,
> >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Thunar#udev_Automounting,
> >>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Mount_under_.2Fmedia.3B_use_partition_label_if_present.3B_support_user_un-mounting
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>

> > none of them have a connection with your problem.
> >
> > i guess the usb filesystem is ntfs and you forgot to install
> > ntfs-3g
> Make sure u have thunar volman installed and also check at
> your .xinitrc same as instructed here
> http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=289

since Ionut said what reported above, I checked .xinitrc.
I've installed thunar-volman. I don't know why, but it seems that the
problem was the following command in .xinitrc: 'thunar --daemon &'.
Now I can write to my USB stick (vfat filesystem) without root
permission.
Thanks.

--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it!